[Buildroot] BuildRoot cannot build powerpc64

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Aug 24 01:01:00 UTC 2016

On 18-08-16 23:18, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 20:02:31 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>> The only C library that supports PowerPC64 today is glibc.
>>>
>>> But glibc does not support static linking.
>>>
>>> Hence there is no solution to do a statically linked rootfs on
>>> PowerPC64 today.
>>
>>  Perhaps we should remove the static/shared libs options to the toolchain menu,
>> and make them depend on the libc choice rather than the other way round. That
>> way, we're sure that we never run into such impossible situations.
>>
>>  Actually also some other options are more fitting in the toolchain menu IMHO,
>> like debug/optimization options and SSP.
>
> I personally don't like this, and instead would like to keep separated
> the options that affect the build of all components (SSP or not,
> debug/optimization, shared/static) from the options that configure the
> toolchain itself.

 OK, fair enough.

 Actually, I noticed now that SSP in the build menu already depends on the
toolchain choices. So perhaps we should move the build options below the
toolchain, and make the static/shared libs options depend on the toolchain as well.

 That leaves us just with the awkward headers-same-as-kernel forward dependency.

 Regards,
 Arnout