[Buildroot] Making a Bootable USB Image for x86_64

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Aug 24 14:41:37 UTC 2016

Hi Jimmy,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 10:11:51PM -0500, Jimmy wrote:
> I know this has been asked a lot, but I have been sifting through the
> archives and Google in order to find the best way to make a bootable USB
> image of my buildroot installation for an x86 based machine.

I have no experience with grub installation on a USB device. I use extlinux
(http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=EXTLINUX) for that. You may use
a minimal extlinux.conf file like

DEFAULT linux
LABEL linux
KERNEL /bzImage
APPEND root=/dev/sdb2

You need to know your rootfs device node in advanced for this to work.
Otherwise you may use "root=UUID=98f012537-7a7c-2213-819e-a69ddf9abc2b"
instead, where the UUID comes from the 'blkid' command output.

Hope this helps,
baruch

   - baruch at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -