[Buildroot] Is there an equivalent of yocto's devshell?

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Wed Aug 31 20:50:56 UTC 2016

 > Hello,
 > I'm quite new to buildroot, and I am trying to check how I can use it
 > in one project. I am very familiar with yocto, so I am trying to
 > re-learn how to do things with buildroot.

 > Particularly, I am not able to find if buildroot offers a feature
 > similar to the devshell of yocto. The devshell is a shell with all the
 > environment variables already set, so that it is possibile to invoke
 > commands such as make in the same way that the build process does. By
 > working in the devshell, a developer can work already in the correct
 > environment for cross-compiling, which can save a lot of time.

 > Does something similar to the devshell exist in buildroot?

I have never used this 'devshell', but I take it that it is something
that adds the cross compiler to the path and possibly sets up some
environment variables like CC/CXX/CROSS_COMPILE/ARCH to point to the
cross compiler?

If so, we don't have anything quite like that, but writing a little
shell script for your project adding output/host/usr/bin to your path
and exporting those environment variables shouldn't take many minutes.

Or does it do something more special than that?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard