[Buildroot] LibreSSL support?

Maxime Hadjinlian maxime.hadjinlian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:36:51 UTC 2016

Hi Eric, all

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Eric Le Bihan
<eric.le.bihan.dev at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Are there any plans for adding support for LibreSSL?
>
> I've found a patch [1] in patchwork, from M. Hadjinlian, posted two
> years ago. The review concludes with the need for the introduction of a
> virtual package, as LibreSSL uses the same names for its binaries and
> libraries as OpenSSL (openssl, libcrypto, libssl and libtls).
Well the problem is that LibreSSL is *NOT* a real drop in replacement
of OpenSSL, so you would need to add a new package and we need to
figure a way to have a generic way to say that a package provide SSL,
like we have for GLES or others, and change/replace everything in the
package that needs ssl *but* since LibreSSL is not a perfect drop-in,
some package won't build with it. So it's on a case by case.

Of course, a good first step, would be to simply add the package and
include it with a few packages that works and see how it goes.