[Buildroot] crontab: can't change directory to '/var/spool/cron/crontabs': No such file or directory

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Feb 1 18:17:26 UTC 2016

On 28-01-16 23:02, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

>  > Hello,
>  > Just noticed this:
>  ------------------> 8-------------------
>  > # crontab -e
>  > crontab: can't change directory to '/var/spool/cron/crontabs': No such file or directory
>  ------------------> 8-------------------
>
>  > Obvious solution is:
>  ------------------> 8-------------------
>  > # mkdir -p /var/spool/cron/crontabs
>  ------------------> 8-------------------
>
>  > But the question is if we want that to be done automatically and if
>  > we do want how (read "where") to do it properly?
>
> Yes, the problem is also how should this work together with a readonly
> rootfs? Our default skeleton has /var/spool as a symlink to /tmp/, so we
> cannot add /var/spool/cron/crontabs at build time (unless we change the
> skeleton).

 I think it's a mistake that we have /var/spool as a symlink to /tmp. /var/spool
shouldn't contain any files directly. So instead, I think any package that needs
a /var/spool directory should create it either as a directory or as a symlink.
In the particular case of crontab, that should probably be a directory, not a
symlink, since it doesn't make much sense to have crontab files non-persistent.

 In fact, dcron does create $(TARGET_DIR)/var/spool/cron/crontabs - which is
silly of course since it will just create a directory in /tmp and the tmpfs will
be mounted over it.

 Of course, changing this may break other packages, probably at runtime only.
The following packages are currently referring to /var/spool from buildroot, but
there are probably a few others (including busybox) that refer to it from their
own Makefiles:
at boa busybox dcron dcron exim leafnode2 mutt smstools3

 Regards,
 Arnout