[Buildroot] Speeding up the Build

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Feb 8 20:20:39 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 12:14:35 -0800, Steve Calfee wrote:

> Sorry I don't use CMAKE. Could your solution be extended to other host
> packages? Python for instance takes a long time to build and I have
> one installed. Unless we are patching the host tool or require a
> special version, it would build faster if buildroot used the installed
> version rather than building. I mean generically it would be nice.

For Python, we:

 1/ Need a host-python whose version matches the one of the target
    python being built.

 2/ Need some special host tools that are built as part of the
    host-python build, in order to build some stuff for the target
    python.

So unfortunately, it's not straightforward to use the Python of your
distribution.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons