[Buildroot] [v3, 0/4] Supporting building a second Barebox config

Pieter Smith pieter at boesman.nl
Tue Feb 16 18:55:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:55:30PM +0100, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> Hi Pieter,
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:43 PM, Pieter Smith <pieter at boesman.nl> wrote:
> > This patch-set in 4 parts adds support for building barebox with up to 2
> > configurations. It can be used to build the barebox x-loader or MLO (also
> > called Secondary Program Loader) in addition to the standard barebox build
> > (Tertiary Program Loader). This implements the design proposed in
> > http://elinux.org/Buildroot#Todo_list:
> > 1. Have boot/barebox/ containing the common stuff.
> > 2. Add two separate packages boot/barebox-1/ and boot/barebox-2/.
> > 3. There is only one version selection, but each package allows to
> >    define the configuration to be used.
> > 4. Design is a little bit like package/gcc, where we have multiple gcc builds,
> >    but share a lot of common definitions between the packages.
> >
> > To demonstrate that it works as advertized, the last patch adds a defconfig for
> > the beaglebone black that makes use of the added functionality.
>
> I've applied the patches and built both MLO and barebox.bin binaries.
> The patches are working as expected.

Glad to hear it.

> I have following use case: I have one board, but want provide
> different environment scripts per project. These scripts should be
> stored in BR2_EXTERNAL folder. I'd like to also embed them into
> barebox.bin. How can I do it in BR?

If I understand you correctly, you would like to customize the barebox
environment integrated into barebox.bin on a per-project basis. This is
something I spent a few hours looking into, but I have not found an adequate
solution. It may be easier to bake a new buildroot environment and flash that.

Will this satisfy your use-case?

> Yegor

- Pieter