[Buildroot] wget download: 'scheme missing' results in empty output file

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:13:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Thomas,
>
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:19:56 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> When a package does not (by error) define FOO_SITE, and the source
>> archive is not already present, the wget download helper will be
>> invoked with as URL /foo-xxx.tar.gz. wget reports 'Scheme missing' and
>> bails out, but _returns with a successful error code (0)_.
>
> Shouldn't we simply be checking in the package infrastructure that
> FOO_SITE is not empty?

When a PRIMARY_MIRROR is set and there is a 'guarantee' or expectation
that each file is present on that mirror, FOO_SITE is not really used
and could be empty for proprietary packages, since there is no actual
proper value. Sure one could fill in a bogus value, but it's not very
nice.

Also, for packages where the source is included with buildroot, like
makedevs, FOO_SITE is empty too.

/Thomas