[Buildroot] Loading modules with device tree after rootfs is mounted

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Sat Feb 27 17:57:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

 >> - Add a line to the init script for cold plugging modules
 >> (E.G. modules for which the devices were already present before mdev
 >> was added as the hotplug handler). mdev -s should arguable handle
 >> this, but it doesn't.

 > Well, mdev was not originally meant to do the module probing, it's
 > more of a hack on top of it. mdev was meant for changing names and
 > permissions of device nodes. So in the coldplug (mdev -s) it will
 > just handle the device nodes it finds in /sys/class.

 >> find /sys/ -name modalias | xargs sort -u | xargs modprobe -abq

 >  I wouldn't have thought of the sorting, but looks good to me.

This was cut'n'paste from:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2014-September/081780.html

Replacing the 'sort -u' with cat would also work. I'm not sure exactly
what the pros/cons of using sort -u is.

As that message states, we also need to make sure that we have a
modprobe understanding the aliases (so not the MODPROBE_SMALL busybox
variant).

--
Venlig hilsen,
Peter Korsgaard