[Buildroot] Standardizing format for specifying license(s)

Rahul Bedarkar Rahul.Bedarkar at imgtec.com
Fri Jan 15 11:53:34 UTC 2016

Hi all,

In package.mk, as of now, there is no standard format for specifying
licenses under which package is released. In some cases we comma
separate licenses while in others space separated list. It's difficult
to parse manifest file generated by legal-info target in such cases. One
of requirements of parsing manifest file would be checking for license
compatibility of dependent packages.

With that in mind, I'm proposing following initial format which allows
ease in parsing manifest file.

* If package is licensed under multiple licenses e.g. bluez5_utils
libraries and programs are licensed under different licenses. In such
case, comma separate licenses e.g. BLUEZ5_UTILS_LICENSE=GPLv2+, LGPLv2.1+
   If there is clear distinction between which component is licensed
under what license then annotate the license with libraries or programs
or others keywords. e.g. BLUEZ5_UTILS_LICENSE=GPLv2+ (programs),
LGPLv2.1+ (libraries)

* If package is dual licensed e.g. dbus then slash separate licenses.
e.g. DBUS_LICENSE = AFLv2.1 / GPLv2+

There was effort to comma separate licenses
https://git.busybox.net/buildroot/log/?qt=grep&q=comma+separate+licenses
but just comma separating licenses in many cases is not correct from
point of different licensing terms and parsing manifest file.

Any suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Regards,
Rahul