[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Jan 23 12:55:47 UTC 2016

Ricardo,

First of all, thanks a lot for this great investigation! Definitely
very useful!

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 10:33:20 -0200, Ricardo Martincoski wrote:

> This error occurs when applying a patch that changes a file with spaces
> in the name.
> When applying a patch generated by diff v3.3 (the newest version [2]),
> the tool patch needs to be version 2.7 or any later to ensure any patch
> will be applied.
> libsoil is the only package today that patches a file with space in the
> name.

Aah, this explains the problem. My build server has patch version 2.6.

> Solution 1: Add patch >= 2.7 as prerequisite to the manual (patch v2.7
> is from 2012 [2]).
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/572097/

Not really acceptable, as we want to support old distros. Especially
when this is really needed only for one package.

> Solution 2: Add patch >= 2.5.9 as prerequisite to the manual (patch
> v2.5.9 is from 2004 [2]), address on the manual
> 'Format and licensing of the package patches' the workaround needed when
> a file changed by a patch has spaces in its name, apply the workaround
> to libsoil (either use diff 3.2 or manually remove the quotes from the
> filename inside the patch).

Seems like the best solution. Can you cook such patches (both to the
manual, and the change to libsoil) ?

BTW, why would we need to require patch >= 2.5.9 ? Just to support file
name with spaces ?

> Solution 3: Create host-patch. Almost every package would depend on it.
> I don't known if it would be feasible since gcc has patches.

We only build gcc for the target, so we could certainly build
host-patch. However, this really seems overkill to solve the problem of
just one package, for which there is a separate solution (your solution
2).

Thanks again for your investigation. I'm looking forward to seeing your
patches implementing solution (2).

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons