[Buildroot] suggestion?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Jan 28 22:59:40 UTC 2016

On 27-01-16 14:38, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:05:03 -0000, jerry at chordia.co.uk wrote:
>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/ask
>>> using the new "buildroot" tag rather than asking on this list.
>>
>> Is there much of a BR community on SO? I guess it works for those mad to
>> build rep :)
>
> Unlike what Jonathan said, I wouldn't really suggest to rely on
> Stackoverflow. While Stackoverflow was really great at the beginning,
> there are now tons of people giving completely incorrect and invalid
> answers. On the Buildroot topic fortunately, a few of the core
> developers/contributors are monitoring the "buildroot" tag, so they are
> giving good answers, but I've also seen other answers that were
> completely wrong. Arnout Vandecappelle and Luca Ceresoli are
> particularly active at answering Buildroot questions on Stackoverflow.

 Begging to differ here, I think the quality of the answers on Stackoverflow is
pretty good. At least, the answers that show up in search results. IMHO the
voting mechanism does work pretty well.

 For the buildroot tag, many of the questions are indeed better put on SO
because they are not strictly buildroot-specific.

 The main problem is that many questions are not appropriate SO questions but
rather debugging help. And that requires a threaded conversation, which doesn't
work well at all on SO.

 Regards,
 Arnout