[Buildroot] Loading modules with device tree after rootfs is mounted

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Jan 31 22:52:59 UTC 2016

On 30-01-16 18:56, Tim Michals wrote:
> I've created new buildroot defconfig for Udoo Neo board, u-boot, linux kernel
> boots and busybox prompt is active and accepts commands.  The issue is several
> drivers (wifi, camera, etc) are built as kernel modules and stored on ext4
> rootfs.  How can the kernel load these modules via the device tree from the rootfs?

 The kernel doesn't automatically load modules, you need a userspace hotplug
helper to handle that. You have the following options:

1. modprobe the required drivers in an init script (no hotplugging).
2. Write a hotplug script that modprobes as required (google it).
3. Use mdev as the /dev handler and add a modprobe handler in mdev.conf (google it).
4. Use udev as the /dev handler.

 Regards,
 Arnout