[Buildroot] perl XS modules

Arne Caspari arne.caspari at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 07:59:10 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I try to build the libxml-parser-perl package for an ARM target.
Unfortunately the compiled perl module fails to load with the following
error message:

loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched

After some digging I found that the module needs to be compiled with
the same toolchain and compiler defines as the perl binary in order to
be ABI compatible. Forcing the defines to be exactly the same as the
ones used for the perl binary did not fix the issue so I believe it
must be a problem with the toolchain.

I get it right, buildroot builds the host-perl package with the GCC
installed on the build system. In my case this is GCC Version 6.1 while
the toolchain in buildroot uses 4.9.3. If I get the build procedure
right, the ABI for perl is then configured for the 6.1 toolchain while
module builds will use the toolchain provided by buildroot which is ABI
incompatible.

Is there a way to make buildroot build an initial toolchain to build
the host packages with? Did anybody ever successfully build perlXS
modules?

Thanks,

/Arne