[Buildroot] [Patch v2 3/3] rust: new package

Eric Le Bihan eric.le.bihan.dev at free.fr
Sat Jul 9 12:25:33 UTC 2016

Hi!

Le Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:11:13 +0200,
Romain Naour <romain.naour at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Le 24/06/2016 à 21:46, Eric Le Bihan a écrit :
> > This new package provides the compiler for the Rust programming
> > language.
> >
> > Currently, only the host variant is built.
> >
> > The internal build process is as follows:
> >
> >  1. rustc-stage0, provided by rust-bootstrap, is used to build
> >     rustc-stage1.
> >  2. rust-stage1 builds the final Rust compiler (rust-stage2)
> >     and the standard library for the host architecture.
> >  3. the standard library for the target architecture is build.
> >
> > The Rust compiler uses LLVM as its backend, compiled with support
> > for x86, ARM, PowerPC and MIPS architectures.
>
> rust build it's own bundled copy of llvm if it's not available on the
> host. If host-rust require a llvm compiler we need to add llvm
> support in Buildroot first.
>
> I have some WIP patches about llvm/clang, if you want to take a look:
> https://github.com/RomainNaour/buildroot/tree/clang-llvm

Indeed, having host-rust depends on host-llvm may be added later.
AFAIK, the copy of LLVM bundled in Rust only contains optimizations. In
any case, a version of LLVM/clang will have to be built and this takes a
very long time... Maybe disabling support for some architectures
will speed it up (I haven't checked). I'll try your patch.

ELB