[Buildroot] grub2 installation query

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 18:17:39 UTC 2016

Hi Danomi,

Le 16/07/2016 à 20:02, Danomi Manchego a écrit :
> All,
>
> I recently noticed that grub2 will fail to install if stripping is turned off.
> This is because $(STRIP) is used to make a "kernel.img" from another file
> during installation, and the `true` command won't simulate that.
>
> I think that grub2 is not unique in this.  I notice these lines in openldap.mk:
>
>   # Somehow, ${STRIP} does not percolates through to the shtool script
>   # used to install the executables; thus, that script tries to run the
>   # executable it is supposed to install, resulting in an error.
>   OPENLDAP_MAKE_ENV = STRIP="$(TARGET_STRIP)"
>
> And indeed the comment is true - there is at least two instances of openldap
> makefiles installing things to $(DESTDIR) via $(STRIP).
>
> So I'm wondering:
>
> - Should not the autobuilders be hitting these?

It's due to the choice for the strip option.
BR2_STRIP_none is not the default choice and the randconfig command used in
autobuilders can't select other config symbol than the default choice.

> - Should there by a TARGET_STRIP_FOR_REAL that is actual a strip, in
>   addition to TARGET_STRIP, for these cases?

It remind me a patch in patchwork:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/624875/

Can you take a look at it ?

Best regards,