[Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup week #24

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sun Jul 24 20:23:48 UTC 2016

Hello,

With a huge delay, here is the conclusion of this patchwork cleanup.
Things have been mainly cleaned up during the Buildroot Summer Camp
organized in early July.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:06:34 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

>  1. board: add support for Chromebook Snow
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/563197/
>
>     This one has not been reviewed. It would be sad not to merge it,
>     because we have merged some specific packages that are needed for
>     this defconfig (host-vboot-utils).

This patch has been applied, after some tweaks.

>  2. pyqtgraph: new package
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/529864/
>
>     It seems to be a pretty straightforward package, but nobody
>     reviewed it.

Maxime Hadjinlian did some review, but there was no feedback from the
original author. The patch is marked as Changes Requested, so if nobody
resends a new version, we will simply forget it.

>  3. toolchain-wrapper: prevent use of unsupported -fstack-protector*
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/545315/
>
>     This patch proposes to make the toolchain wrapper fail immediately
>     when -fstack-protector is passed to gcc, but SSP support is not
>     available. This helps with some packages that assume that compiling
>     with -fstack-protector is enough to determine if SSP support is
>     available, while in several cases, doing a link test is necessary.
>
>     I personally don't really like this change, as I believe it's
>     adding even more sorcery to our toolchain wrapper. Instead, the
>     problematic upstream packages should be fixed. Plus, at the time,
>     we had a few packages in this situation, but nowadays, I don't
>     think we have build failures due to this.
>
>     So, my proposal would be to reject this patch.

It has been collectively decided that this patch was no longer needed.

>  4. uboot: install multiple spl images
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/595980/

This patch was adopted by Maxime Hadjinlian, and merged.

>  5. Fix for the makeinfo / missing issue, proposal from Romain
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/595041/
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/595042/
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/595043/
>
>     We need to take a decision on this one. The problem also occurs for
>     gdb and binutils on ARC, for which we've added a custom hack
>     recently.
>
>     I tried to play with timestamps by touch'ing the .info files before
>     the build, it worked with one of gdb or binutils, but failed for
>     the other.
>
>     So either we take Romain's approach, or we bite the bullet and add
>     a host-makeinfo package on which we depend when gdb/binutils are
>     fetched from Git.

We've taken the approach of adding a host-texinfo package to solve this
problem. The patches are merged, and it seems to work.

>  6. wget download: 'scheme missing' results in empty output file
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/599387/

We've taken a different approach for this problem: ensure _SITE is not
empty. The corresponding patch has been merged.

>  7. Fortran support
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/599678/
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/599679/
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/599680/

Improved Fortran support has been merged during the Buildroot Summer
Camp, and we have already enabled a few Fortran-based packages. So
those patches were no longer needed.

>  8. new package: alsacap
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/607045/
>
>     Isn't there already a tool in alsa-utils that does the same thing
>     more or less?

A review has been done, so we've suggested the original submitter to
contribute a new version of the patch. In the mean time, the patch has
been marked as Changes Requested.

>  9. overlay: Add archive-based (tar) rootfs overlays
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/610752/

We have rejected this patch, and instead added a mechanism to run
custom scripts within the fakeroot environment.

> 10. Improvements to kernel headers version selection
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/612316/
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/612315/
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/612313/

We've rejected some of those patches, but did a few improvements in
this area as well.

All in all, none of those 10 topics remain in patchwork today.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons