[Buildroot] 3 patches to buildroot via git send-email

Peter Thompson peter.macleod.thompson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 03:20:04 UTC 2016

I submitted 3 patches to buildroot via git send-email got sdl2_ttf,
sdl2_image, sdl2_gfx.    I hope they arrived properly.    If not, please
let me know.    Below are my personal notes I used to make the submission.

Peter

-------------------  submit patch to Buildroot --------------
see https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#submitting-patches
see http://free-electrons.com/~thomas/buildroot/manual/html/ch02.html

Step 1 - Git buildroot from github
----------------------------------
mkdir ~/Documents/git/buildroot/
cd ~/Documents/git/buildroot/
git clone git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot

cd ~/Documents/git/buildroot/buildroot/
git status
git branch -a
git remote -v
git remote show origin

Step 2 - create 3 branches (1 per patch)
git checkout master     # recheck original
git branch sdl2_gfx
git branch sdl2_image
git branch sdl2_ttf
git branch -a            #

Step 3 - create patch, test, submit
git checkout sdl2_image     #make changes see 09xpeterBuildrootPatchREADME
git add package/sdl2_image/Config.in        # p17-19 git pro book
git add package/sdl2_image/sdl2_image.mk
git add package/Config.in
git add -A                 # adds all files - don't use here...
git status                # make sure you know what you are commiting
git commit -as            # -as=all modified files with signoff
rm *~                     # get rid of junk

submit via
https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#submitting-patches
$ git fetch --all --tags    # update with latest buildroot version
$ git rebase origin/master    # redo my commits on latest buildroot version
$ git format-patch -M -n -s -o outgoing origin/master #format and send it
$ git send-email --to buildroot at buildroot.org outgoing/*

repeat Step 3 for all sdl2-gfx, sdl2_image, sdl2_ttf