[Buildroot] [v1 1/1] uboot: Add local directory option to menuconfig

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jun 28 22:54:15 UTC 2016

On 28-06-16 08:23, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  >> Well, any two projects would have different workflows, so suggesting a
>  >> "realistic project" uses an automated override-srcdir is just pushing
>  >> the limits too much, IMHO.
>
>  >  Of course. But it's true that the same workflows are covered by
>  > _OVERRIDE_SRCDIR and _CUSTOM_LOCAL.
>
> Yes, except that _CUSTOM_LOCAL ends up in the .config, so it easily gets
> committed to version version control, whereas you have to go out of your
> way to shoot yourself in the foot with _OVERRIDE_SRCDIR.

 Except, of course, when you really want to refer to a separately managed local
checkout. Though in that case putting local.mk under version control is equally
easy.

>  >>
>  >> Besides, my opinion is that having the sources for packages in the
>  >> br2-external tree is bad, and that each package should have its own
>  >> git/hg/svn/bzr tree. But that varies between projects! ;-)
>
>  >  They are git submodules, of course.
>
>  >  In my experience referring to tags or shas from a defconfig is really clunky,
>  > it makes updating extremely inflexible. I've implemented scripts to automate the
>  > tagging for some projects; in the end they didn't use it, because the submodule
>  > tag already covers it.
>
> What is the problem with referring to shas from the defconfig? That
> sounds to me to be no more work than changing the submodule version. Or
> are you just referring to the effort to tag the individual components
> for a release?

 To update the sha, you have to:

- commit in the component repo;
- generate a tag;
- update the .config;
- run a test build;
- make savedefconfig;
- git diff and check that it's OK to commit this;
- commit;
- generate a tag for integration repo;
- push both repos.

=> This really requires a script.

 While with submodules and OVERRIDE_SRCDIR, you do:

- run a test build;
- commit in the component repo;
- commit in the integration repo;
- git push --recurse-submodules

i.e. only the steps that you really want to do by hand.

 Regards,
 Arnout