[Buildroot] A 64 bit system which enables 32 bit applications

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sun Mar 13 20:20:03 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:12:35 +0200, Mau Z wrote:

> I need to build a 64 bit system, but I need to run a 32 bit
> application on to of it.
> I looked into the buildroot menus/options, and I could not find any
> clear way to do this.
> Any advice ?

We don't support this today. I.e, we can only build a pure 64 bits
system, or a pure 32 bits system. But we don't support multiarch, with
one part of the system using 64 bits libraries, and another part of the
system using 32 bits libraries.

The main problem is that it wouldn't be easy to define in menuconfig
which package should be built 32 bits vs. which package should be built
64 bits.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons