[Buildroot] Analysis of build results for 2016-05-16

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed May 18 22:15:04 UTC 2016

On 05/18/16 23:54, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 18 May 2016 21:40:38 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>   In my opinion, ICE issues are not really our problem. Since the user can
>> configure any kind of toolchain combination, I don't think it makes a whole lot
>> of sense even to add dependencies in the Config.in to avoid broken toolchains
>> (like we used to have for BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CODESOURCERY_NIOSII).
>>
>>   So I'd just add an autobuilder exception.
>
> I'm hesitant to do this, because it means that normal users can also
> fall into the problem.

  My point is: excluding one specific (external) toolchain doesn't really stop
normal users from encountering the problem, because they are just as likely to
use a completely different (buildroot-generated, crosstool-NG, or
vendor-provided) toolchain.

  My personal experience with customer projects is that maybe we start with a
predefined external toolchain, but in the end we either build our own, or we
bump buildroot but want to keep the existing toolchain which already has been
replaced. So we always end up with a custom external toolchain.

> On the other hand, it's annoying to encode all those exceptions in
> Buildroot itself.

  My point is not so much that it's annoying, my point is that it's giving a
false sense of security. We're adding exceptions for things we happen to
encounter, but normal users are just as likely to still run into them.

  Note that I'm really talking about toolchain bugs here (i.e. ICE and the
like), because these are particularly difficult to identify reliably. The
situation is entirely different for things that can be handled by
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_GCC_AT_LEAST_ and the like.

  Regards,
  Arnout