[Buildroot] systemd-timesyncd fails to start

Petr Kulhavy brain at jikos.cz
Tue Oct 18 08:55:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

there is a peculiar problem with systemd NTP synchronization, that in
the default rootfs the systemd-timesyncd.service always fails to start.
The reason is that systemd-timesyncd requires the /var/tmp to be a
permanent storage and not just a link to /tmp.
See the second comment on this page:
And really, if I replace the symlink with an empty folder it starts working.

I'm wondering what is the proper way to fix this. By default buildroot
creates /var/tmp as a link to /tmp, however
on some platforms the rootfs might be read-only or very limited in
space, so making /var/tmp permanent might break other things...

It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could shed more light on this.

Thanks
Petr