[Buildroot] systemd-timesyncd fails to start

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Oct 18 09:45:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 10:55:26 +0200, Petr Kulhavy wrote:

> there is a peculiar problem with systemd NTP synchronization, that in
> the default rootfs the systemd-timesyncd.service always fails to start.
> The reason is that systemd-timesyncd requires the /var/tmp to be a
> permanent storage and not just a link to /tmp.
> See the second comment on this page:
> And really, if I replace the symlink with an empty folder it starts working.
>
> I'm wondering what is the proper way to fix this. By default buildroot
> creates /var/tmp as a link to /tmp, however
> on some platforms the rootfs might be read-only or very limited in
> space, so making /var/tmp permanent might break other things...
>
> It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could shed more light on this.

I've added Yann E. Morin in Cc. He is working on a revamp of the root
filesystem skeleton for the systemd case, specifically to solve this
sort of problem.

You can have a look at
https://github.com/yann-morin-1998/buildroot/commits/yem/systemd-skeleton,
but I'm not sure it's the latest updated work from Yann.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering