[Buildroot] Report from the Buildroot Meeting in Berlin

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Oct 24 12:39:38 UTC 2016

 >> If that is the only problem, couldn't we just add -mno-msa to the
 >> kernel/bootloader if _MIPS_MSA is enabled?

 > That would be a solution, filter (or append -mno-* counterparts) to the
 > flags when building kernel or bootloaders. The thing is we would need to
 > do this for other optimization options (not just MSA) and architectures.

 > Do we want to do that? It looks better and cleaner to have a variable
 > that holds flags suitable for building packages but not for building
 > kernels/bootloaders. I think that's what Arnout means with the
 > TARGET_EXTRA_CFLAGS.

Do we expect to have a lot of such new flags in the future? We already
do something similar for some of the arm specific flags (E.G. force
-marm for stuff that cannot be built in thumb2 mode).

I agree that it isn't very pretty, but again it is a tradeoff between
how complicated we want to make the toolchain wrapper.

--
Venlig hilsen,
Peter Korsgaard