[Buildroot] Autobuilder for powerpc64le?

Sam Bobroff sam.bobroff at au1.ibm.com
Thu Oct 27 03:52:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 09:12:27AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello Sam,
>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:15:32 +1100, Sam Bobroff wrote:
>
> > (I'm guessing from all the autobuilder email that you're the right person to
> > talk to!)
>
> Indeed :)
>
> > Are you interested in having an autobuilder for powerpc64le and possibly
> > powerpc64 (big endian)?
>
> Are you talking about:
>
>  1. Using powerpc64le/power64 as the *build* machine
>  2. Using powerpc64le/powerpc64 as the *target*
>
> I'd say that both are useful, though (2) looks more interesting to me.

At the moment, it's (2), although I might eventually try to get (1) going as
well.

> > If so, what would be involved in setting it up?
>
> Depends if you're talking about (1) or (2), so let's talk about both.
>
>  (1) Requires you to have a machine available to do builds. You install
>      the autobuild-run script from
>      https://git.buildroot.org/buildroot-test/tree/scripts/autobuild-run
>      on this machine, and simply run it. By default, it simply does
>      some builds and keeps the build results around. This way, you can
>      check if everything looks OK and you don't have bogus results due
>      to missing things on the build machine. Once you have run this for
>      about a day and checked that there doesn't seem to be any bogus
>      result, then I can create credentials for you so that
>      autobuild-run can upload the build results on
>      http://autobuild.buildroot.org.
>
>  (2) Requires adding some base toolchain configurations in
>      https://git.buildroot.org/buildroot-test/tree/web/toolchains/configs/.
>      One .config file per toolchain configuration, and each of them
>      should be referenced in toolchain-configs.csv.

OK! It's (2), so what do I need do next? Do I need to create the configs or
provide you with some info? (If it's me, are there instructions somewhere?)

Oh, also, how are the pre-built toolchains managed? I notice that some of the
configs use them and some don't. Can we create ones for the new targets?

> Also, if you're interested in powerpc64 and powerpc64le and we indeed
> add toolchain configurations in the autobuilders, it would be nice if
> you could add:
>
> N:	Sam Bobroff <sam.bobroff at au1.ibm.com>
> F:	arch/Config.in.powerpc
>
> to the DEVELOPERS file. This way, you will receive a daily e-mail with
> the failures that occurred on powerpc, powerpc64 and powerpc64le (i.e
> all BR2_ARCH values described in arch/Config.in.powerpc).

I can only help with powerpc64 and powerpc64le, if that's OK then I'm happy to
add myself. I can probably find someone else around here to put their hand up
too. Should I just send a buildroot patch with the change?

Cheers,
Sam.