[Buildroot] Is there an equivalent of yocto's devshell?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Sep 1 09:39:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:51:31 +1000, Matt Flax wrote:

> Is it necessary to have a devshell ? Could you simply run 'make package'
> instead and work live in the output/build/package directory ?
> You can rerun various parts of the make process by deleting the .stamp_*
> files in the package directory.
>
> Conceptually if you build the package you are working on natively on
> your desktop, you should be able to do all the library inclusion and
> linking locally ... once happy, you can simply invoke buildroot to cross
> compile for you ... I would imagine that that would be a much faster way
> top develop ...

Fully agreed. I am not sure I understand the usefulness of devshell. It
is just easier and more efficient to use the build system directly.

However, if you're actively working on the source of a package, do
*NOT* make your changes in outptu/build/<package>-<version>/. This
directory is a temporary location. Instead, use the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR
mechanism, which allows you to tell Buildroot to take the source code
for a given package from a given directory. See
http://free-electrons.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-slides.pdf
slides 261 and following.

My feeling is that things like devshell are created because using Yocto
during development is too painful. Buildroot simply doesn't need
something like devshell because using the build system during active
development is perfectly fine. Of course, if you disagree and have some
concrete examples, we'll be happy to look into this.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering