[Buildroot] Stripping kernel modules for ARC

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Wed Sep 14 19:57:02 UTC 2016

 > On 09/14/2016 04:29 AM, Alexey Brodkin wrote:
 >> Hello,
 >>
 >> This is a follow-up of discussion started here
 >> https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/issues/86
 >>
 >> The problem in hand is kernel stack unwinding on ARC historically was done
 >> with use of debug_frame instead of more common eh_frame.

 > Just for the record, I will be switching kernel unwinder to .eh_frame anyways -
 > it's just taking longer than I hoped to. So there is no need to do anything
 > special for .debug_frame - not as of now.

Ok, what kind of time frame are we looking at? Within the 2016.11 cycle
or longer?

 > The question is if we enable BR2_STRIP_NONE=y in buildroot, what strip is run
 > on kernel / modules. And also does it strip build and target/install modules
 > differently such that target ones are stripped, but not those for debugging etc.

git grep -A3 STRIP_none package/Makefile.in
package/Makefile.in:ifeq ($(BR2_STRIP_none),y)
package/Makefile.in-TARGET_STRIP = true
package/Makefile.in-STRIPCMD = $(TARGET_STRIP)
package/Makefile.in-KSTRIPCMD = $(TARGET_STRIP)

So the stripping in target-finalize becomes a NOP when BR2_STRIP_none is
selected.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard