[Buildroot] [1/1,RFC] mysql: replace mysql with mariadb 10.0

Floris Bos bos at je-eigen-domein.nl
Thu Sep 15 21:09:32 UTC 2016

> >/This patch represents my attempt to replace the aging mysql 5.1 that is />/currently shipped with Buildroot. I am replacing mysql altogether with
> mariadb />/version 10.0. I have been able to test this with both an arm and a
> x86_64 />/build. I have not tested it with systemd. This patch is based on the
> work done />/by Sylvain Raybaud. /
> Would it be better to just add MariaDB rather than replace MySQL,
> there's reasons to use one over the other.

While a virtual package may be helpful if in the future someone would
like to add another MySQL implementation.
I do have concerns about the existing mysql package, given that:

- the MySQL branch used has been EOL since 2013
- there has been an number of CVE issues since:
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=oracle+mysql
(and cve-2016-6662 not yet in the list)
- it listens to all interfaces by default

How responsible is it to keep packages in such state around, when there
do are alternatives?

Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos