[Buildroot] buildroot uClibc-ng build failure

Eugene Yudin e.yudin at ndmsystems.com
Thu Aug 10 10:54:57 UTC 2017

Yes. In that particular case loop iterates through en_US (from buildroot),
en_US and en_GB.
Of cause, that list can be patched but I don't know if that's correct.
It's look a bit strange if user passes locale which actually absent.

Waldemar, what you think about it?

I made several tests with different locales (en_US, en_GB, ru_RU, C.UTF-8
and C).
The generated header is the same for all the above locale except pure C.

Comment in the same makefile tells about problem with some locales.
I think it would be better to use C locale for fallback.

I attached the tested patch to modify fallback behavior based on Arnout
draft.
I also changed the order of calls to raise priority of C.UTF-8 locale.

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be>
wrote:

> On 10-08-17 11:09, Eugene Yudin wrote:
> > The system library makefile handles option the following way
> > (extra/locale/Makefile.in):
> >  $(locale_OUT)/wctables.h: $(locale_OUT)/gen_wctype
> >          @$(disp_gen)
> >          $(Q)for locale in $(call qstrip,$(UCLIBC_BUILD_MINIMAL_LOCALES))
> en_US
> > en_GB; do \
> >                   $< $(FLAG-locale-verbose) $$locale > $@ || \
> >                  $< $(FLAG-locale-verbose) $$locale.UTF-8 > $@ || \
> >                  $< $(FLAG-locale-verbose) $$locale.iso8859-1 > $@ &&
> break; \
> >          done
> >
> > The program "gen_wctype" receives locale name as command line parameter.
> > That application call the function setlocale() inside it.
> > Some time ago that call was disabled to workaround bug with locales.
> > That's the reason for the absence of problems in the past.
> > Changes in the last release return this call.
>
>  So the problem really is that this command tries a number of locales, but
> not
> any of the locales actually present on the system?
>
>  I would propose to:
> - replace the "en_US en_GB" with "C C.UTF-8" since the latter is much more
> likely to be present on the host;
> - use '$(sort $(patsubst %.utf8,%,$(shell locale -a)))' as an ultimate
> fallback.
>
>  Does that sound reasonable? I didn't look at the history if this
> particular
> piece of code, I guess it must have gone through several detours already...
>
>  Regards,
>  Arnout
>
> --
> Arnout Vandecappelle                          arnout at mind be
> Senior Embedded Software Architect            +32-16-286500
> Essensium/Mind                                http://www.mind.be
> G.Geenslaan 9, 3001 Leuven, Belgium           BE 872 984 063 RPR Leuven
> LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/arnoutvandecappelle
> GPG fingerprint:  7493 020B C7E3 8618 8DEC 222C 82EB F404 F9AC 0DDF

Eugene