[Buildroot] luaposix not working with luajit/lua5.1

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Feb 20 10:47:37 UTC 2017

On 20-02-17 10:58, François Perrad wrote:
>>  Hi Francois,
>>
>>  Three years ago you submitted a patch that was supposed to fix luaposix by
>> adding the bitop module.
[snip]
>>  I've worked around this by using the bit32 module instead of the bitop module.
>> I can submit this patch but I first wanted to check if I just did something wrong.
>>

> old versions of luaposix use :
>     local bit = bit32 or require 'bit'
> which work out of the box with LuaJIT, Lua 5.2 and Lua 5.3
> Lua 5.1 requires an additionnal dependency
>     - bit from LuaBitOp
>     - or bit32 from https://github.com/keplerproject/lua-compat-5.2
> In 2013, I choose LuaBitOp.
>
> recent versions of luaposix use :
>     local bit = require 'bit32'
> which work out of the box with Lua 5.2 and Lua 5.3
> LuaJIT and Lua 5.1 require an additionnal dependency
>     - bit32 from https://github.com/keplerproject/lua-compat-5.2
>
> The rockspec is available https://luarocks.org/modules/siffiejoe/bit32/5.3.0-1,
> so it's easy to add this new package.

 That's exactly what I did, but I wanted your feedback before submitting. Thanks
for your confirmation that bit32 is needed.

 Integrating this package is not trivial, because our luarocks infra assumes
that the upstream name is the same as the Buildroot name. That's not the case
for bit32, however: in Buildroot, we really want to call it "lua-bit32". So it
requires a bit of infra change to clean it up. Therefore, it'll take me a couple
of days before I can submit.

 Regards,
 Arnout