[Buildroot] Analysis of build results for 2017-02-26

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Feb 27 20:20:49 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:54:19 -0500, Frank Hunleth wrote:

> >>         i686 |              rabbitmq-c-v0.8.0 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/92f9a6b804072a521ad0b25086a0a5ed33eaf53e
> >>          arc |              rabbitmq-c-v0.8.0 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/a04ba24c6cd61bf6f2128a0e869f679cb3f2eac3
> >
> > Static linking issues, with a CMake based package. Frank, Samuel, could
> > you have a look?
> >

> I took a quick look. The issue is due to a transitive dependency on
> zlib not being added to the linker invocation. The rabbitmq utilities
> make calls to libcrypto.a which has calls to zlib. I don't use cmake
> enough to know how this is normally fixed with that tool. If there's
> another example somewhere that I can copy, I don't mind submitting a
> fix.

The proper solution for this is to use pkg-config to discover the
libraries. pkg-config has the relevant information about transitive
dependencies that are needed for static linking to work properly.

It is worth noting that the problem does not occur only with
openssl->zlib, but also with libintl.

> p.s. Fwiw, rabbitmq-c is actually maintained by Joris Lijssens, so I'm
> adding him to the cc list in case he has run into this. My rabbitmq
> package is rabbitmq-server, but my project with rabbit also uses
> rabbitmq-c.

Ah, yes, indeed, my bad. Thanks for adding Joris in the loop then. He
should anyway have received notifications of the build failures.

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering