[Buildroot] orange-pi build not working

paul paul.arssov at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 19 15:06:33 UTC 2017

Hi ,

I did find a solution to the one time boot for 'orange pi' boards.
In order to keep booting I did change through the build-root config -
- select 'linux headers' as '4.7.x'
- select 'kernel' as '4.7'

I made a build and did test - successfully booting multiple times.

Why do the builds with newer 4.8 and 4.9 kernels boot only 1 time?

I did not find the exact reason but here are some hypotheses -
- u-boot documentation (pretty old-2007) mentions 'boot-count'
parameter, used in making u-boot, and passing it to kernel
- u-boot documentation provides a source of a kernel driver to modify
boot count through the '/proc' ;

Paul.