[Buildroot] [for-next 3/3] package/gcc: remove gcc 4.9

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jun 14 06:56:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 07:30:26 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  Yeah, that's another reason: if we remove 4.9 from master, than we will not get
> any fixes for it that could be applied to the LTS branch. But, well, I don't
> think we're testing with 4.9 at all in the autobuilders so the point is kind of
> moot.

We are testing 4.9 in the autobuilders. I rebuilt the pre-built
toolchains a few days ago. We had two gcc 4.8 toolchains, which I moved
to 4.9 toolchains. I always try to make sure we have a few "old"
toolchains, and at least one "bleeding edge" one, just to test more
configurations.

Also, we still have much older external toolchains: remember the recent
ICU breakage caused by ICU requiring gcc 4.8 ? If such breakage
occurred, it's because we do have toolchains with gcc's older than 4.8.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering