[Buildroot] [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyS0.

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Mar 13 17:28:34 UTC 2017

On 13-03-17 12:13, Karoly Pados wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I built a buildroot image, using systemd as the init system. The kernel is built using buildroot too, using a custom kernel-.config that is known to work on same hardware when used outside of buildroot.
>
> Most of the booting process succeeds, but towards the end systemd repeatedly tries to stop and start getty, then after a minute or two outputs:
> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyS0.
>
> Booting then continues with UTMP, but no login prompt is shown. Not on UART and neither on VGA. I've found out that others who got this same phenomenon had to enable CONFIG_FHANDLE for the kernel, but for me it is already enabled.
>
> Steps I used:
> - clone buildroot from git
> - checkout 2017.02.x branch
> - make menuconfig (enabled systemd, disabled busybox, added a whole lot of other stuff)
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 When you do this, you'll see the following warning appear:

You may need to enable other packages to get a working system
You better know what you're doing!

 From a quick look through your .config, I see that you don't have a getty
package enabled. Without getty, systemd can't start getty. So you need to enable
the agetty package.

 Also note that systemd isn't thoroughly tested in Buildroot, even if you do
enable busybox. So it is possible that you may run into other issues. Starting a
getty should work, however.

 Regards,
 Arnout