[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2017-05-11

Matthew Weber matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com
Mon May 15 02:53:46 UTC 2017

Eric,

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Matthew Weber
<matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com> wrote:
> Thomas/Eric,
>
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Hello,

>>> This one is puzzling. The configure steps ends with the following error:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> Checking whether system has auto-close after fd-passing...
>>>   ... test crashed, aborting.
>>>   make: ***
>>>   [/accts/mlweber1/instance-2/output/build/skalibs-2.4.0.2/.stamp_configured]
>>>   Error 111
>>>   make: Leaving directory `/accts/mlweber1/instance-2/buildroot'
>>> ```
>>>
>>> The configure script tries to cross-compile and execute a program
>>> (tryancilautoclose). The cross-compilation succeeds and of course the
>>> execution fails, as it means running a program compiled for the
>>> SPARC architecture on a x86 machine. Normally, the shell which executes
>>> the program should return the code 126, as mentioned in the list of Bash
>>> exit codes with special meaning [1].
>>>
>>> Here the exit code is 111. When looking at tryancilautoclose.c, we can
>>> see that 111 may be returned.
>>>
>>> So this error means that either the shell managed to execute the
>>> cross-compiled program or the shell does not follow the convention [1].
>>>
>>> Which are the architecture of the build machine and the shell used?
>>
>> Thanks for investigating this issue. This build failure occurred on
>> Matt Weber's autobuilder instance, so I've added him in Cc. His
>> instance has already triggered some weird issues recently due to an
>> unusual setup. Hopefully Matt will be able to shed some light on what's
>> going on, possibly reproduce by hand the issue and investigate.
>>

> Here's the machine info
> # uname -a
> Linux largo 3.13.0-43-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 8 19:35:06 UTC
> 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> # ls -l /bin/sh
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 18  2014 /bin/sh -> bash
> # bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.3.11(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> I'll kick off a manual recreation now and see how it ends up.

Well this is interesting and I'll have to dig around some more but
here's what I've found after doing a build.  It looks like I have
SPARC ELF ABI compatibility on my x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04.1 machine.  I
can execute the test app since it's statically linked.

# ./tryancilautoclose
Unsupported ancillary data: 65535/1
# echo $?
111
# file tryancilautoclose
tryancilautoclose: ELF 32-bit MSB  executable, SPARC version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, with unknown capability 0x41000000 = 0xf676e75,
with unknown capability 0x10000 = 0x70403, not stripped

Matt