[Buildroot] [RFCv1 0/4] Per-package SDK and target directories

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Nov 7 19:55:58 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 18:55:20 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

> > in package/pkg-generic.mk. But of course, we need to exclude the
> > host-ccache package from this, otherwise we would have a circular
> > dependency. Do you want to try something like this?
>
>  Ha, I didn't understand the original problem but now I see. The issue is that
> ccache is part of DEPENDENCIES_HOST_PREREQ, and DEPENDENCIES_HOST_PREREQ is
> *not* added to each package's DEPENDENCIES,

Exactly.

> instead it is added to the
> core-dependencies target and each package depends on that. It's an easy way to
> avoid circular dependencies, I guess.
>
>  So I think the proper solution would be to add DEPENDENCIES_HOST_PREREQ to the
> dependencies of all packages except themselves, similar to how it's done for
> toolchain.

Isn't this DEPENDENCIES_HOST_PREREQ thing a bit crappy in the first
place? Why isn't host-ccache simply added as a dependency of all
packages, except itself?

Another example is that today, host-lzip is always built at the
beginning of build, even if you're not building any package that needs
the lzip "decompressor".

So perhaps this calls for a little bit of rework in this area, no?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering