[Buildroot] build failure netsniff-ng-0.6.3

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 13:39:48 UTC 2017

Hi Ross,

Le 30/09/2017 à 12:24, grunpferd at netscape.net a écrit :
> G'day Romain,
>
> Le 30/09/2017 à 04:56, grunpferd at netscape.net <mailto:grunpferd at netscape.net> a
> écrit :
>>> The following compile errors occurred during building netsniff-ng-0.6.3.
>>>
>>> This used to work successfully previously. Using an internal toolchain ggc6 /
> glibc.
>>>
>>> Changed to latest linux-4.13.4 kernel.
>>>
>>> The following compile errors get reported:
>>>
>>> Building mausezahn:
>>>  CC    str.c
>>>  CC    die.c
>>>  CC    dev.c
>>>  CC    sock.c
>>>  CC    link.c
>>>  CC    sysctl.c
>>>  CC    xmalloc.c
>>>  CC    staging/layer1.c
>>>  CC    staging/layer2.c
>>>  CC    staging/layer3.c
>>>  CC    staging/layer4.c
>>>  CC    staging/hextools.c
>>>  CC    staging/tools.c
>>> staging/tools.c: In function ‘get_ip6_range_count’:
>>> staging/tools.c:485:10: error: ‘UINT64_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>>>   return UINT64_MAX;
>>>          ^~~~~~~~~~
>>> staging/tools.c:485:10: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>>> for each function it appears in
>>> Makefile:184: recipe for target 'mausezahn/staging/tools.o' failed
>>> make[1]: *** [mausezahn/staging/tools.o] Error 1
>>>

>>> It looks that UINT64_MAX is not declared.
>>>
>>> This was working fine recently. Using latest buildroot git master along with
>>> latest linux-4.13.4.
>
>> Missing stdint.h header in staging/tools.c ?
>> Adding it fixes the issue.
>
> This is correct. It again seems to be flushed out by the upgrade to glibc 2.26.
> I suspect that there might have been a nested include that previously brought
> stdint.h into play.
>
> I guess buildroot needs to cover this for now.

Thanks for reporting the issue, it's very appreciated.
I would like to suggest you to look at the upstream repository to see if the
issue is already fixed.

This is the case here [1], you have to backport this specific patch in the
Buildroot package. It will be removed with the next version bump.

Best regards,
Romain

[1]
https://github.com/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng/commit/551aa0ee996132e443b5d12cbb6f114ac9aabcd3