[Buildroot] Autobnuilders timeouts [was: Re: autobuilder flock hangs]

Julien Boibessot julien.boibessot at free.fr
Mon Aug 27 16:31:53 UTC 2018

Hello all,

Yann,

thanks for investigating autobuilder issues.

On 24/08/2018 09:02, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hollis, Julien, Matthew, Thomas, All,
>
> On 2018-08-16 11:10 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 11:18:10 -0700, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>>> flock was hanging. I don't know why; have you experienced anything like
>>> that?
>> This happened again:
>>   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/ddb/ddbc96b24017f2a2b06c6091dea3e19520bf2dd1/
> I think we now can see a pattern in those timeouts from Hollis'
> autobuilder: they only ever happen on a slect group of 4 packages that
> are downloaded with git:
>   - linux-firmware      (kernel.org)
>   - f2fs-tools          (kernel.org)
>   - azure-iot-sdk-c     (github.com)
>   - uhttpd              (openwrt.org)
>
> Could you try to download them manually from your autobuilder, and see
> if that works or not, please?
>
> Is there something on your network that systematically makes those
> packages fail to download? Do you have firewalling restrictions or
> extreme traffic shapping?
>
> Note that the size of those packages ranges from ~150KiB for uhttpd,
> which is not really big, to 195MiB for linux-firmware, which is rather
> large but nothing compared to a kernel tree. So we can probably rule
> out the actual size of the package...
>

> Now, I also had a look at all the timeouts, and I also noticed a single
> other pattern. Julien's and Matthew's autobuilder would always choke on
> host-libsodium, and it happens only on those two autobuilders:
>
>     http://autobuild.buildroot.org/?reason=host-libsodium
>
> All failing at the same point:
>
>     checking whether segmentation violations can be caught when using the C compiler...
>
> Matthew, Julien, could you have a look at what is causing those on your
> autobuilders?

I already signaled this problem on BR IRC chan. ;-)
When occurring, my autobuilder is stuck with a "conftest" process
consuming 100% of the CPU, indefinitely.

When building host-libsodium alone, all is fine.

When it fails with 100% CPU usage I can only kill the process and don't
see what is happening. I would say this problem is quite recent (3
months ?).

What can I do to look further ?

Best regards,
Julien