[Buildroot] Docker client does not function correctly in 2018.11

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu Dec 6 08:49:24 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 17:47:05 -0800, Christian Stewart wrote:

> There is no official documentation at this point, the Docker package
> exists as a "include the Docker binaries in my target system" minimal
> option in Buildroot, and developers are currently left to decide how
> to configure it themselves.
>
> If you want to see how I use Docker and Buildroot as a reference, see
> https://github.com/paralin/SkiffOS.git - feel free to open issues
> there as well if you have Docker related questions / other
> non-Buildroot specific topics to discuss.
>
> The minimal requirements for Docker are a kernel compiled with a
> specific set of features enabled (see the Docker documentation) as
> well as some init process to start the daemon at system startup.

Perhaps we could try to improve things a little bit so that it works
better out of the box ?

If some kernel options are really absolutely needed for Docker to work,
then maybe we should make sure they are enabled: linux/linux.mk already
does that for a few packages.

Alternatively (or additionally), we can add a
package/docker-engine/docker-engine.txt file that gives some
details/suggestions on how to setup Docker in Buildroot.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com