[Buildroot] Submodule granularity instead of LIB_GIT_SUBMODULES

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Fri Dec 7 20:53:53 UTC 2018

Louis-Paul, Arnout, All,

On 2018-12-06 09:32 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> On 2018-12-03 17:40 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle spake thusly:
> > On 28/11/2018 16:28, lpdev at cordier.org wrote:
> > > compilation. I was wondering if there is a way to specify _GIT_SUBMODULES to no,
> > > but still get the submodule1, without breaking buildroot's download philosophy.
> >  No, there's no simple way to do that. And adding the infrastructure to do that
> > would lead us way too far.
> Actually, it would be rather easy, as 'git submodule init' accepts a
> list of paths to initialise (it has accepted that since submodules were
> introduced in 2007).
> See (totally untested):
>     https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/commit/?h=yem/git-submodules&id=6a4f7c504e04dfe8dd6d5f8540a6cbc81e3758ae
> Arnout, like you, I am not sure we would want such a feature. However,
> I don't have a strong opinion against it either, as it's pretty easy to
> do...

Well, I take that back. It is not easy, in fact.

My proposal only accounts for first-level submodules, and doers not
works for sub-submodules and below. Handling them would not be trivial.

So, I side with Arnout: we can't support that, as that would lead us way
too far, especially since our git wrapper is already complex...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.