[Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?

Jens Maus mail at jens-maus.de
Thu Feb 8 10:12:01 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am maintaining a buildroot environment for several ARM embedded boards. They are currently exclusively pure „armhf“ platforms. However, I am currently evaluating to support also the ODROIDC2 which has a 64bit ARM processor (ARMv8) and the buildroot images are thus generated for the aarch64 platform. The problem I am currently facing is that I have several dependencies in my buildroot environment which requires that armhf binaries have to also work properly without any possibilities to recompile them for aarch64. I was therefore looking at possibilities in buildroot to enable multiarch support like other environments (e.g. Debian) support. However, I wasn’t successful in finding any possibilities in specifying that in addition to primarily setup buildroot for aarch64 I can also run armhf binaries out-of-the-box. Already when running through all packages (including my own external package) buildroot recognizes that there are binaries not being compiled for the aarch64 platform and thus cancels the build.

So is there any possibility to configure buildroot as a multiarch environment where the build process then automatically creates all necessary armhf dependencies (e.g. libc) for the armhf platform and install it properly so that armhf binaries run out-of-the-box on a aarch64 buildroot build?

best regards,
jens
--
Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
http://jens-maus.de/

*** Content is authentic only with digital signature  ***