[Buildroot] Read only rootfs with writable (aufs) overlay

Alex Hildebrand alexander.hildebrand at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:59:34 UTC 2018

So switch_root does not work when used without an initramfs? Tried it directly from my read only rootfs but it does not change the root...
Is this the same with in-kernel overlayfs?
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com> Datum: 19.02.18  22:46  (GMT+01:00) An: Alex Hildebrand <alexander.hildebrand at googlemail.com> Cc: buildroot at buildroot.org Betreff: Re: Read only rootfs with writable (aufs) overlay

 > Hi there,
 > Does anyone of you have experience with a rootfs with a writable (aufs) overlay?
 > I managed to compile aufs and mount a folder combining the read only
 > rootfs with a read write data overlay. How to switch the rootfs to
 > this mount point? Tried to move the mount point to this folder in the
 > inittab, but this fails with "Too many levels of symbolic links"

I don't have any specific experience with aufs (any specific reasons to
not use the in-kernel overlayfs instead), but you would normally need to
setup the overlay in an initramfs and then switch_root to it before
executing init.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard