[Buildroot] Drop support for Qt 5.6? [was: [RFC 1/2] qt5: bump latest version to 5.10.0]

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Sun Feb 25 17:17:12 UTC 2018

Hi Arnout,

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 06:06:37PM +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On 12-02-18 14:37, nimaim wrote:
> > This is semi unrelated, but along would this, would it make sense to bump the
> > current Qt LTS version from 5.6.x to 5.9.x (currently 5.9.4, which should
> > also be bumped from the 5.9.3 currently in the BR repo), and use this 5.10.x
> > version as BR2_PACKAGE_QT5_VERSION_LATEST as currently proposed?
>
>  The problem is that 5.6.x is the last version that still was LGPL-2.0. For some
> companies this could be a problem.
>
>  That said, I'm not particularly in favour of keeping old, unmaintained and
> probably vulnerable versions of packages just for companies' irrational fears of
> 3.0. It is clear from all the conditions we currently have that such maintenance
> does not come for free...

I would not call the fear of the anti-tivoization clause of LGPL3 irrational.
It has real world impact on e.g. medical devices, where tivoization is
sometimes a regulatory requirement.

>  So, any objections to replace Qt 5.6 with Qt 5.9?

That being said, I don't think we should keep Qt 5.6 forever. Anyone having
problem with LGPL3 should either get a commercial license from the Qt Company,
or look for alternatives.

baruch