[Buildroot] Trouble with offline build

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Wed Feb 28 08:29:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

 > To be honest, I don't really see how to solve that problem. the
 > host-{cmake,lzip,xzcat,tar} issue could probably be solved by
 > downloading all of them even if some of them won't be needed (we may
 > have a "make all-source" that differs from "make source" to avoid "make
 > source" from downloading useless stuff). However, for the host
 > architecture difference, I'm not sure how to proceed, and I'm not sure
 > there is a reasonable solution.

 > Bottom line: should we document/make it clear that doing a "make
 > source" on machine A and then do a build on machine B is not
 > guaranteeing a fully offline build ? It's a bit of a pity, because I
 > know there are some environment where only a given machine has Internet
 > access, and the developer machines don't, but I don't see a good way of
 > solving this in Buildroot.

Me neither. Historically, make source was meant to ensure that
everything is downloaded now so you could go offline and continue
building _ON_THE_SAME_MACHINE_. This potentially does indeed break down
if you try to reuse the download directory on another machine, but I
don't quite see how we can solve this for all situations.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard