[Buildroot] startx dev/fb0 permission

François LE FOLL francois.le-foll at jeumontds.com
Wed Jan 17 22:47:34 UTC 2018

Hi all,
This is my first post here so don't hesitate to correct me concerning usage
here.

I come to you as this is my first attempt to use xorg on a ARM board
(wandboard quad Rev C1) within buildroot (I'm using buildroot 2017.02.8)

At the moment, all the build went smooth and board is running nice.
I can startx with user root but not with another user.

xorg.log is complaining about permission to access /dev/fb0

I read a lot here and there concerning:
   - xorg wrapper (needs_root_rights = no and allowed_users = anybody) but
no luck
   - user being part of specific group (I tried video and tty with no luck)

Can you please help me a bit to the right direction as I don't see which
permissino is missing

Additionnal question : while playing with users and group I can't find
usermod app wihtin buildroot (busybox). Am I missing something to get it ?

Thanks in advance
Snarf