[Buildroot] Compiling gcc for the target?

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Sun Jan 28 04:45:41 UTC 2018

On 28/01/18 13:30, Baruch Siach wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:35:57PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
>> I'm trying to bootstrap a musl system and am running into a road-block
>> with regards to getting a C compiler running on the target.  My target
>> is ARMv5 (specifically, ARM926EJ-S).
>>
>> The aim will be to use a QEMU VM to "natively" compile packages, as
>> there's lots of packages that just don't cross-compile.
>
> Which packages are these?

Off the top of my head, I know a lot of Python modules fail to
cross-compile.  "Don't use Python" isn't a valid answer.

In short though, I actually need a root FS with a compiler so that I can
build software within that environment.  It's a requirement of Gentoo's
release engineering tool, catalyst.

Basically, I've managed to cross *everything else* I need, except gcc.
gcc needs gcc to bulid gcc.  Specifically, gcc needs g++… which is even
worse.

> There used to be support for target toolchain, but this support has been
> removed long ago. See the FAQ at
>
>   https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#faq-no-compiler-on-target

Thats, unfortunate.  I can understand its an atypical use case for
buildroot and sadly, building gcc seems to be far more difficult than it
ought to be.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...