[Buildroot] Unable to download Linux "master" on 2018.05 release

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Tue Jul 17 12:48:24 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:43:53 +0000, Evgeniy Didin wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Recently I have faced with an error trying to download "master" version of Torvalds Linux branch. I am using 2018.05 tag of buildroot.
> Here is part of my defconfig:
> -----------------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL=y
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_GIT=y
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_REPO_URL="https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git"
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_REPO_VERSION="master"
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFCONFIG="hsdk"

Fetching from a Git branch name is not supported. It used to work by
accident, but now it no longer works at all. It's a bad thing to do,
because Buildroot will never refetch that branch once it has cached a
tarball linux-master.tar.gz.

However, it is on our TODO list to provide an explicit error message
when this situation arise.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com