[Buildroot] Run getty on multiple ttys and Box-drawing character

MOHAMMAD RASIM mohammad.rasim96 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:37:59 UTC 2018

Hi
I'm running buildroot-2018.02.3  on an arm64 board from initrd  and have a
couple of questions:

1- How can I set buildroot to run getty on multiple ttys. the standard
BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_GETTY doesn't accept multiple ttys to be set, I normally
edit output/target/etc/inittab and add the other tty. So is this the
standard way of adding a tty or is there some setting I'm missing?
also, there is an official kernel parameter called console that can be used
to set up gettys, so for example, if I run Ubuntu initramfs I can pass the
following arguments to the kernel:

console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0

and so the initramfs run a getty on each tty I passed, so why doesn't
buildroot use these values to run gettys?

2- I'm running a python script that uses curses library to display a box on
the framebuffer, the problem is that the box doesn't show with the box
drawing characters <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character>
instead the borders are shown as letters. so what do I need to enable?
I've already added en_US.UTF-8 to BR2_GENERATE_LOCALE but still I don't get
the box characters.