[Buildroot] customizations to package recipes in BR2_EXTERNAL?

Carlos Santos casantos at datacom.com.br
Mon Jun 18 11:48:44 UTC 2018

Allowing users to customize existing packages in a BR2_EXTERNAL could
lead to unpredictable results. If you need a custom nvidia-driver then
copy/edit the original package definition to <my-project>-nvidia-driver
in your BR2_EXTERNAL. That's quite easy, since no other package depends
on nvidia-driver.

A more generic solution would be allowing the user to select the desired
version by means of a sub-menu. This seems to make sense for a package
that install pre-compiled binaries, like nvidia-driver does.

Let's ask the opinion of the package maintainers (in CC).

--
Carlos Santos (Casantos) - DATACOM, P&D
“Marched towards the enemy, spear upright, armed with the certainty