[Buildroot] "BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS" with U-Boot?

Jens Maus mail at jens-maus.de
Fri Mar 23 10:05:24 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am currently developing a buildroot-driven system (for RaspberryPi HW) which uses U-Boot together with BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_CPIO and BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_CPIO_UIMAGE in buildroot to generate a zImage and initrd file which I can then boot via

load mmc 0:1 ${kernel_addr_r} /zImage
load mmc 0:1 ${ramdisk_addr_r} /initrd
setenv bootargs „root=/dev/ram0“
bootz ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r} ${fdt_addr}

in U-Boot. This works perfectly fine.

However, I am currently evaluating the possibilities to directly embed the initramfs into the kernel by switching to BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS. But I am not able to boot the generated zImage via

load mmc 0:1 ${kernel_addr_r} /zImage
setenv bootargs „“
bootz ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr}

It simply hangs at „Starting kernel…“

Unfortunately I don’t have any idea why this kernel with the embedded initramfs doesn’t boot at all? It doesn’t even output any kernel information/debug on the console.

Any idea what might be wrong here or how I could debug the situation to get that zImage booted?

Best Regards,

Jens
--
Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
http://jens-maus.de/

*** Content is authentic only with digital signature  ***